|This article is a stub.|
|This article is shorter than it should be. You can help the Encyclopedia of Cryptozoology by expanding it with relevant information.|
Bernard Heuvelmans (10 October 1916 – 22 August 2001) was a Belgian-French zoologist and writer who is regarded as the "Father of Cryptozoology". His book On the Track of Unknown Animals (1955) is regarded as the founding document of the field.
On the Track of Unknown Animals was followed by In the Wake of the Sea Serpents (1965), which attempted to classify reports of sea serpents using the Heuvelmans system. During the 1960's, he was especially noted for his investigation of the Minnesota Iceman alongside Ivan T. Sanderson. He was a founding member and President of the International Society of Cryptozoology, and published a complete checklist of cryptids reported up to the time of publication in the Society's journal, Cryptozoology. His final cryptozoological works were a series of untranslated books covering the cryptids of Africa, two of which were published posthumously: Les Derniers Dragons d'Afrique (1978), Les Bêtes Humaines d'Afrique (1980), Les Félins Encore Inconnus d’Afrique (2007), and Les Ours Insolites d'Afrique (2015). A book covering the yeti, Les Peu Abominables Hommes-des-Neiges, remains unpublished.
From 1975, Heuvelmans' vast cryptozoological archives were housed in his Center for Cryptozoology in France. Two years before his death, he donated the archives to Switzerland's Museum of Zoology of Lausanne, which has subsequently stored them in a Department of Cryptozoology.
- Sur la Piste des Bêtes Ignorées (1955) Plon
- Dans le Sillage des Monstres Marins—Le Kraken et le Poulpe Colossal (1958) Plon
- Le Grand-Serpent-de-Mer, le Problème Zoologique et sa Solution (1965) Plon
- & Porshnev, Boris F. L'Homme de Néanderthal est Toujours Vivant (1974) Plon
- Les Derniers Dragons d'Afrique (1978) Plon
- Les Bêtes Humaines d'Afrique (1980) Plon
- & Hopkins, Peter G. The Natural History of Hidden Animals (2007) Routledge
- Les Félins Encore Inconnus d’Afrique (2007) Les Editions de l'Oeil du Sphinx
- Les Ours Insolites d'Afrique (2015) Les Editions de l'Oeil du Sphinx
- "What Is Cryptozoology?," Cryptozoology, Vol. 1 (1982)
- "Annotated Checklist of Apparently Unknown Animals With Which Cryptozoology Is Concerned", Cryptozoology, Vol. 5 (1986)
- "The Sources and Method of Cryptozoological Research," Cryptozoology, Vol. 7 (1988)
Notes and references
- Coleman, Loren & Clark, Jerome (1999) Cryptozoology A to Z: The Encyclopedia of Loch Monsters, Sasquatch, Chupacabras, and Other Authentic Mysteries of Nature, Simon & Schuster, ISBN 978-0684856025